Meet Our Doctors
John J. Hagerty, DDS, FAGD
A Michigan native, Dr. Hagerty attended the University of Michigan Dental School. After graduation, he served as a Lt. Commander and dentist in the United States Navy from 1967-1971. Dr. Hagerty was stationed in Norfolk, VA; Subic Bay, the Philippines, and Memphis, TN. Following his service in the Navy, he moved to Lansing and started his private practice, which has served our community for over 25 years. Dr. Hagerty constantly acquires valuable experience and training through affiliation with many esteemed dental organizations. To earn a Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD), he met stringent requirements, including at least 500 hours of approved continuing education courses.
Dr. Hagerty and his wife, Phyllis, have enjoyed over 40 wonderful years together and are the parents of two grown children, John and Amanda. In addition to spending time with his family, Dr. Hagerty enjoys outdoor pursuits, such as hunting, fishing, and adventure sports, like white-water rafting and rock climbing. Dr. Hagerty is also a passionate supporter of local and international charitable causes and has served in medical/dental missions throughout Central and Latin America. Visit our Community Matters page for more information on how Dr. Hagerty and our team serve the community and our fellow man.
Dr. Hagerty holds membership with following professional organizations:
- Academy of General Dentistry (Fellow – FAGD)
- International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
- International Association of Mercury-Free Dentists
- Academy of Laser Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- American Equilibration Society
- American Board of Neurological & Orthopaedic Dental Medicine and Surgery
- American Academy of Neurological & Orthopaedic Surgery
- International Academy of Preventative Medicine
- Arrowhead Institute’s “Elite” for Advanced Cosmetic & Rehabilitated Dentistry
- National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped 1995-present
Dr. Hagerty's community associations and charitable organizations include:
- Former president of the Central District Dental Society
- Former board member of Mother Teresa House hospice care
- Board member of Free International Missions (FIM)
- Medical/Dental Missionary work in and throughout Central and Latin America
- Member of the Healing Hearts Society of “Ele’s Place” children’s bereavement center in Lansing, MI
Tristen Smith, DDS
From Saugatuck, Michigan, Dr. Smith completed her undergraduate degree at Spring Arbor University where she played college basketball and completed majors in Biology and Spanish. Dr. Smith chose to attend the University of Michigan School of Dentistry, not only for the excellent educational opportunities within the dental school and hospital system in Ann Arbor, but also because of their service to communities throughout the state of Michigan. After completing highly skilled procedures while working with patients at the university, she was selected to receive an opportunity to serve Michigan residents by providing dental care for 10 weeks in clinics throughout upper and lower Peninsula's of Michigan. She has taken her skills and passion for helping people to Guyana in South America for a week long dental service trip that provided free dental procedures to rural community members. Her love for dentistry comes from knowing that she can have a tangible, positive outcome on a person’s life, and she hopes to continue to be able use her skills both locally and abroad. As a new member of the Greater Lansing community, Dr. Smith looks forward to continuing her educational training and to giving her patients the best there is to offer within this field. Her goal is to make her patients feel comfortable while also providing superior dental care.
Dr. Smith is a proud member of the Michigan Dental Association (MDA), the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Hispanic Dental Association (HDA) Additionally as a newer member of the greater Lansing community she looks forward to learning about, and ultimately joining several civic related organizations in our community.